LEGO has officially announced the next LEGO Creator Expert D2C (Direct 2 Consumer) Exclusive – 10258: London Bus.
This set will be unveiled physically at five LEGO Brand Retail Stores in the London area on July 1, with VIP Early Access from July 17, and a full launch date set for August 1st, 2017. From the launch date, it will be exclusively available in the five LEGO Brand Retail Stores in London. We’re not sure what stores these are, but I’ll edit this post when I know.
This set will include over 1,680 elements, is 18cm high, 34 cm long and 13 cm wide. It includes some neat interactive functions including an opening bonnet (hood) with engine, driver’s cab with sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck. Oddly, there’s no details on price included in the press release, but according to some sources online, it could be US $119.99.
EDIT: The set is now up on Shop@Home for AU $199.99.
There’s small details like advertising from both the 1950s and present day, and even some used chewing gum under a seat! Just don’t stick your fingers under there…gross.
I like the overall shape of the bus – it certainly looks like the real thing, and the interior looks great, but there are a large amount of stickers – I counted 25 stickers. I’m not the biggest fan of stickers, and this is considered a special set, given the release structure, so I don’t see why there can’t be printed elements.
I do like the brick versions of destinations – that’s clever. There’s the main destination, Brickston, as well as the rest of the route including Yellow Brick Road, Brickadilly Circus and Twobytwo Square.
There are also some new elements included, such as a tyre, quarter bows and arches in red, and new SNOT bricks with two vertical studs, and the video highlights some “special elements”, two of which have been seen already, but they’re not in many sets. The umbrella has been seen in two other LEGO Batman Movie sets, and the printed can top has been seen in around 9 sets already.
I’m also not sure about the “worn look” seating. They don’t look all that worn to me, although I’m not sure how they could have done that without stickers or printing.
The designer video (interestingly without the nice title sequence) and press release are available below, as well as some more images.
All aboard the London Bus!
Celebrate iconic design with this charming double-decker London Bus, featuring a wealth of authentic details, including a bright-red color scheme, panoramic windshield, specially made standard-tread tires, destination sign, and an open rear boarding deck with a hand pole, ticket bin, fire extinguisher and a half-spiral staircase that leads to the upper sightseeing deck. Functions include an opening hood with engine, detailed driver’s cab with a sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck for access to the detailed interior with worn look seating and additional authentic details, including a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and discarded chewing gum. Reversible transit advertising posters are also provided as printed labels with a 1950s or present-day London promotion. This LEGO® Creator Expert model has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm.
Enjoy a nostalgic journey with this highly authentic reproduction of the iconic London Bus, featuring classic curved bodywork, panoramic windscreen, specially made standard-tread tires and a detailed interior.
- The London Bus comes with an array of brick-built features and details, including large windows, bright red curved bodywork, panoramic windshield, reversible transit advertising posters provided as printed labels, specially made standard-tread tires and a destination sign. It also has an opening hood with engine, detailed driver’s cab with sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck for access to the detailed interior.
- Interior details include worn look seating, open rear boarding deck with a hand pole, ticket bin, fire extinguisher and a half-spiral staircase that leads to the sightseeing deck. Additional authentic detailing includes a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and discarded chewing gum elements.
- Choose your favorite decade with the miniature, reversible transit advertising posters, featuring a 1950s or present day London promotion.
- Remove the roof and upper deck for full access to the detailed interior.
- Slide open the driver’s door to access the detailed cab with panoramic windscreen.
- Lift the hood to access the engine.
- Special elements include a new-for-August-2017 tire with standard tread, quarter bows and arches in red, and 1x1x1 A2/3 bricks with vertical studs.
- This model includes more than 1,680 pieces.
- This model is scaled for shelf display alongside other models in the LEGO® Creator Expert vehicle series.
- Measures over 7” (18cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 5” (13cm) wide.
What do you think of 10258: London Bus? Is it enough to get you to add it to the list? I’m honestly not quite as excited as I thought I’d be. It’s a hard act to follow after monster sets like Ninjago City, but I’m sure this set will appeal to many!