It’s finally here! There’s been a few leaks (unfortunately), but here’s the official press release and images. The next modular is 10260 Downtown Diner!
This vivid modular set includes 2,480 pieces, including 6 minifigures, and will be on sale January 1st, 2018. There’s no VIP early access for this one, so we’ve got to be patient! Prices for the rest of the world are set at US $169.99 / CA $219.99 / UK £129.99,
with no Australian price yet. I believe it will be around the $250 mark though. More details on that when I know!
EDIT: The Australian price has been set at AU $249.99. That’s fair!
10260 Downtown Diner looks like quite a versatile set – from the image received, and with a couple of very minor modifications, I reckon this could easily able to be changed to be a corner modular.
One huge detail that hasn’t been done before with modulars – the classic face has been replaced with detailed faces! I’m not too sure about this. I get that last year was the 10th anniversary, so it’s a good time to do something new, but it might be a bit jarring for a few modular fans. It doesn’t matter with my modular street, as I’ve mixed in plenty of detailed faces in my display, as many others would have done too.
I love the fact that it’s also a 1950’s diner. 1950’s architecture is bright, and curvy, and I think this model looks brilliant as a part of the modular street. That big teal coloured feature on the right hand side is so bright, you’d be hard pressed to miss it! I love the curvy window at the front ground level too.
Ok, that’s enough of the outside. To the inside, where the fun is! Let’s go floor by floor.
The ground floor houses the diner (der). By the looks of things, new parts-wise, aside from the bright pink lettering, there’s some new flowers with five petals. These will also be seen in the 2018 Friends sets, but it’s great to get them in this set too. The star tiles from the Palace Cinema have also been used on the walls. I think the roof bricks used in the rangehood above the fryer are also new (well, I’ve never seen them before!).
There’s a gym! I absolutely love this. There’s a boxing ring, punch bag, and a weights bench. This is so good. My favourite detail so far! We also get a good look at the brickwork for the front of the building. The tiles look excellent, especially with the arches above the windows sticking slightly forward.
The top floor houses the recording studio and office. This is another great idea for a 1950’s Diner. There also appears to be some new leaves, visible in the front balcony. The little details of the soundproofing in the recording booth is great, and the big vertical window in the front will show off the interior details really well.
Lastly is the roof. Nothing overly exciting here, but it still looks good!
The minifigures include a chef, roller-skating waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and bodybuilder. There’s plenty of detail in the outfits, and we also get more boxing gloves, and some great looking hairpieces. There’s also a beautiful little pink car, which should include more parts in new colours. Hooray!
You can read the full press release below, as well as check out some more images.
10260 Downtown Diner
Ages 16+. 2,480 pieces.
US $169.99 – CA $219.99 – DE 149.99€ – UK £129.99 – DK 1399.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Discover a place where music is on the menu!
Drop in at the LEGO® Creator Expert 10260 Downtown Diner, where you’ll discover a healthy portion of fun and surprises. This impressive model features removable building sections for easy access to the detailed interior, which comprises a ground-level 1950s-style diner with a large curved front window, red bar stools, jukebox, counter and an open-plan kitchen. The mid level has a gym with boxing ring, punching bag and weight training room, while on the upper-level you’ll find a recording studio, complete with vocal booth, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet. The facade of the building features pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling with a large ‘DINER’ sign. Other external features include arched windows, balconies and a staircase, plus a pink convertible car and a detailed sidewalk, complete with mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and a streetlamp. This incredible collectible toy has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm. Includes 6 minifigures.
- Includes 6 minifigures: a chef, waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and a bodybuilder.
- The 3-level Downtown Diner comes with an array of brick-built details, including a detailed facade with pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling and a large ‘DINER’ sign, external staircase, arched windows, drainpipe, balconies, decorative roofline, opening skylight and a rooftop terrace, plus a detailed sidewalk with a mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and an ornate streetlamp. This set also includes a pink 1950s-style convertible.
- Ground level features 1950s downtown American diner styling with a large curved front window, red barstools, benches, jukebox, candy machine, counter, 2 soda dispensers, and a kitchen with a coffee machine, stove and a cooker hood.
- Mid-level features a gym with a boxing ring, punching bag, weight training room, water dispenser and a wall clock.
- Upper level features a recording studio complete with vocal booth, soundproofed walls, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet.
- Take a ride in the stylish convertible and head for a diner where fast food and music are on the menu.
- Help the chef prepare the fastest food in town while the roller-skating waitress lines up the orders.
- Drop in at the gym for a couple of rounds in the boxing ring or a good workout on the punching bag.
- Open the skylight and eavesdrop on the making of a hit album.
- Accessory elements include roller skates, guitar, golden record award and a buildable barbell.
- Remove the building sections to access the detailed interior.
- New decorated elements include a decorated door, album cover, lots of teal-colored and pink-colored elements, and a dual-face minifigure with singing and smiling expressions.
- Special elements include new flower stalks and flower heads, plus 1×3 ‘jumper’ plates, 2×2 plate with 2 studs and a minifigure torso with boxing gloves.
- Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Building series 10243 Parisian Restaurant, 10246 Detective’s Office, 10251 Brick Bank and 10255 Assembly Square.
- Measures over 13” (34cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep.
So, that’s it for the 2018 modular! What do you think of 10260 Downtown Diner? I think it’s brilliant, and will definitely try to pick up a copy. Let me know your thoughts with a quick comment!