It’s been a long time coming, but LEGO has finally officially announced the details and released the images for 21311 Voltron.
We found out that this set would be made into an official product in mid 2017, but heard nothing after that. A year later, and we get the latest LEGO Ideas set to hit the shelves. It looks like it’s been improved for the better, since the original project! With 2321 pieces, this set will be released for VIP Early Access on Monday July 23, 2018, with the global launch on Wednesday 1st August.
It’s also not cheap – €179.99 DE – £159.99 UK – $289.99 AU – $179.99 US. That’s a big price tag, and the most expensive LEGO Ideas set to date. It’s a good thing that it’s big! When Voltron is formed, he stands at 40cm tall. That’s massive! It looks bright and a ton of fun to build. I’m pretty impressed, and I wasn’t even a huge Voltron fan when I was a kid! Sure, I’ve seen a fair few re-runs, but who hasn’t?
It will be interesting to see how the articulation goes after the terrible attempt with the recent 76105 The Hulkbuster. Hopefully it’s a much better example of a mech that is well and truly playable. Time will tell!
You can see more images of all of the lions below, as well as the full press release.
21311 LEGO® Ideas Voltron
Ages 16+. 2,321 pieces
Let’s go Voltron force in LEGO® style!
Build 5 awesome lions and get ready to form LEGO® Ideas 21311 Voltron—the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! Activate interlocks! Dynotherms connected! Infracells up! Megathrusters are go! Form feet and legs with the blue and yellow lions. Form arms with the red and green lions. And form torso and head with the mighty black lion. Then grab the super robot’s huge sword and shield and form Voltron to defend the universe!
It’s time to defend the universe so get ready to form LEGO® Ideas 21311 Voltron, the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! This awesome set features buildable and highly posable black, blue, yellow, red and green lions with specially designed, extra-strong joints to combine them all and create the Voltron super robot, plus a huge sword and shield that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands. Ideal for display or to recreate thrilling action from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
- Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
- Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
- Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
- Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
- Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
- Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
- Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
- Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
- Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.