The LEGO Group has officially released the news and images for 42083 Bugatti Chiron from LEGO Technic.
It’s big, and looks to continue the line of large scale, highly detailed Technic vehicles that started with 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS. It’s also got a big price tag, with the 3599 piece set coming in at AU $599.99 – DE €369.99 – UK £329.99 – US $349.99. It will be available at LEGO Shop at Home and LEGO Brand Retail stores on June 1st (that’s today!).
That’s not cheap, but for car fans, this looks like a stunning vehicle. Sure, it’s not a smooth finish, but that’s incredibly difficult to achieve in Technic form. I’ve not got a copy of the Porsche, but this model looks equally as good. It’s got beautiful shaping, and is unmistakable as the Bugatti Chiron.
Like the Porsche, it has equally intricate packaging, with display and presentation being incorporated into it as well as the model itself. There’s a stack of detail included in this 1:8 scale set, like an active rear wing, stunning rims, a detailed cockpit with the perfect colour tiles, and a highly detailed W16 engine.
In case you’re not aware of why this car is such a big deal, and why LEGO chose this car, well, let me share some facts about this monster.
- Bugatti are only making 500 Chirons.
- It’s the fastest production car in the world.
- If you were to buy one in Australia (you can’t), with tax, you’d be paying close to $5 million.
- It cranks out 1480 horsepower. That’s huge.
- The 8L W16 engine has four turbos. Those four turbos are sequential, so two start up at the beginning, and then after 3800rpm, the other two activate.
- That 8L engine needs a ton of air and water, so it’s got 10 radiators and all of those cooling vents.
- Every minute, the water pump circulates 800L of water and coolant through the engine.
- It’s top speed has been limited to 380km/h. That’s just for the every day driving – going to the shops for some milk.
- Next to the driver’s seat is an extra key – the top speed key. Turn that on, and it will get to a staggering 420km/h.
- Going flat out, it’ll drain it’s fuel tank in 9 minutes.
This is not a car to be trifled with, and I think was very deserving of being immortalised in LEGO Technic form.
I really like the detail of the buildable top speed key to activate the rear wing. There are three positions for the rear wing. In the image below, there’s braking position at the top, high speed position, and regular driving position.
There’s also plenty more detail – open the bonnet and there’s a rather stylish Bugatti overnight bag.
Also, each model comes with a personalised unique serial number hidden under the bonnet. Don’t worry – there’ll be more than 500 of these produced. The serial number can be used to unlock special podcast and interview content on the LEGO Technic website.
I could go on forever about the details of this vehicle, but I’d rather leave it to the images, the press release, the product information and the videos from LEGO. There’s a Designer’s process video, a product reveal, and a third video with an awesome look at all the details. You can find all of these below!
42083 LEGO Technic: Bugatti Chiron
Ages 16+. 3,600 pieces.
US $ – CA $ – FR 379.99€ – DE 369.99€ – UK £329.99 – DK 3199DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Discover the Bugatti Chiron!
Build, experience and display this quintessential super sports car, featuring aerodynamic bodywork with an active rear wing, spoked rims with low-profile tires, and a detailed cockpit with movable paddle gearshift.
Celebrate innovative engineering and design from one of the world’s most prestigious car manufacturers with this magnificent LEGO® Technic 42083 Bugatti Chiron model. Developed in partnership with Bugatti, the model captures the magic of the iconic supercar with its gleaming aerodynamic bodywork, logoed spoked rims with low‑profile tires, detailed brake discs and W16 engine with moving pistons. Open the doors and you’ll discover an elaborate cockpit, featuring a Technic 8-speed gearbox with movable paddle gearshift and a steering wheel bearing the Bugatti emblem. Insert the top speed key to switch the active rear wing from handling to top speed position or lift the hood to reveal a unique serial number and a storage compartment containing a stylish Bugatti overnight bag. A classic Bugatti duo-tone blue color scheme reflects the brand’s signature color, and a set of cool stickers for additional detailing adds the final touch to this exclusive model! The set is delivered in luxurious box packaging and includes a color collector’s booklet with comprehensive building instructions
- Exclusive 1:8 scale LEGO® Bugatti Chiron replica model with a wealth of luxurious features, including aerodynamic bodywork with an active rear wing, spoked rims with low-profile tires, detailed brake discs and a W16 engine with moving pistons.
- Open the doors to access the detailed cockpit featuring a LEGO® Technic 8-speed gearbox with movable paddle gearshift and a steering wheel bearing the Bugatti emblem.
- Insert the top speed key to switch the active rear wing from handling to top speed position.
- Lift the hood to access a compact storage compartment containing a stylish Bugatti overnight bag.
- Check out the detailed W16 engine with moving pistons.
- Includes a unique serial number located beneath the hood.
- Comes with a classic Bugatti duo-tone blue color scheme that reflects the brand’s signature color, plus a set of cool stickers for additional detailing.
- Delivered in luxurious box packaging.
- Includes a color collector’s booklet with comprehensive building instructions.
- This LEGO® Technic model is designed to provide an immersive and rewarding building experience.
- Bugatti Chiron measures over 5” (14cm) high, 22” (56cm) long and 9” (25cm) wide.
REVEALED: THE NEW LEGO® TECHNIC BUGATTI CHIRON
Where art, engineering and bricks combine
Billund, 1st of June 2018. LEGO Group and Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. have today revealed the new LEGO® Technic Bugatti Chiron. The 1:8 scale super car will be available from June 1.
The LEGO® Technic Bugatti Chiron model brings together the iconic design heritage of the French ultra-luxury car brand and LEGO Technic elements, with a reimagined version of the latest cutting-edge super car from Molsheim.
The new model was unveiled at LEGO House at the company’s headquarters in Billund by Niels B. Christiansen, CEO of the LEGO Group, and Bugatti President Stephan Winkelmann. The 1:8 scale LEGO® Technic Bugatti Chiron will be available from June 1, only at all LEGO® stores and shop.LEGO.com, then all retailers globally from August 1, 2018.
“Thanks to their proven design and technology expertise, the LEGO Group and Bugatti are the epitomes of their brand segments. The LEGO Technic model of the Bugatti Chiron is an expression of this perfect relationship. I am impressed at the precision and refinement with which our super sports car has been translated into the LEGO world and I am sure that fans of both LEGO bricks and Bugatti will love this product.”
The 1:8 scale LEGO® Technic Bugatti Chiron replica model – measuring over 5” (14cm) high, 22” (56cm) long and 9” (25cm) wide and featuring 3,599 pieces – is packed full of intricate details and immersive touches. These include aerodynamic bodywork with an active rear wing, spoked rims with low-profile tires, detailed cockpit with movable paddle gearshift, and detailed W16 engine with moving pistons.
Open the doors and you’ll discover that there’s more to the cockpit than first meets the eye, featuring a LEGO Technic 8-speed gearbox with paddle gearshift and a steering wheel bearing the iconic Bugatti emblem.
Each individual model comes personalised with its own unique serial number, carefully stored under the hood to unlock special content on LEGO.com/technic. The set also features a speed key which enables you to switch the active rear wing from handling to top speed position.
Hidden discreetly under the hood, you will also discover an additional authentic Bugatti Chiron detail – the stylish Bugatti overnight bag.
Staying true to Bugatti’s heritage, the model features the classic duo-tone blue color scheme reflecting the brand’s signature colour, and a set of identifiable stickers for additional detailing and authenticity of the build.
Delivering a final ’artistic’ touch, the set comes enclosed in an exclusive box and includes a ’coffee table’ style collectors booklet with comprehensive building instructions. Fans can also dive deep into the inspiration behind the design with series of nine exclusive podcasts featuring Bugatti and LEGO experts.