After some intriguing jigsaw puzzle type reveals on the LEGO Minecraft Instagram account, LEGO has finally announced the official details of 21137: The Mountain Cave. Needless to say, it’s big. Really big. It tips the scales at 2,863 pieces, and is well and truly the largest set in the minifigure scale Minecraft theme. The closest set to it would be 21128: The Village, at 1600 pieces.
I’ve never been a huge fan of the sets – I love the game (although it’s been a while since I’ve played), but to me, the sets seemed too simple. Basic bricks with a few printed inclusions just wasn’t enough of a drawcard for me. This one looks like a lot of fun though – there’s plenty of detail and things to see.
The release date for 21137: The Mountain Cave will be July 1, and will cost US $249.99 / CA $299.99 / UK £259.99.
No word on an Australian price yet, but it will be hefty. When it is known, I’ll update the post. What I do know is VIP Early Access will be available from June 15.
EDIT: We’ve now got confirmation that this set will set Aussies back $399.99. It’s certainly pricey.
Included in the set are two minifigures, Steve and Alex, and a plethora of creatures including:
- Cave Spider
- Baby Wolf
- Large Slime
- Two small Slimes
- Two bats
- Charged Creeper
There’s also loads of great features such as a minecart track and two minecarts, a first night shelter (that looks much better than any of my first night shelters in game!), a light brick, a revolving cave spider spawner, and much more. The entire setup is modular, so the model can be set up in a number of different configurations.
This is the concept that I struggle with, though. For the Minecraft sets that I own, the modularity consists of a 2×2 jumper plate between two 2×2 bricks. There’s only one stud to hold them on, so while it is great for being modular, there’s also very little strength. It will be interesting to see how the full build holds together.
I’m particularly impressed with the revolving spawner, and the effects from the light brick. It’s repositionable, so different things can be lit up. It’d be great to see everything lit up at once, but you’ll need to spend a bit more money on lights for that.
You can read the full press release below:
21137 The Mountain Cave
Ages 12+. 2,863 pieces.
US $249.99 – CA $299.99 – DE 249.99€ – UK £259.99 – DK 2099.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Experience the Mountain Cave!
Build and experience the Mountain Cave, featuring an amazing minecart track with an integrated redstone‑powered minecart elevator, and an array of other features and functions, including TNT blasting, rotating spider‑spawner, charged Creeper™ explosion and a lava burst. Position the light brick to illuminate the rotating spider-spawner, wall of redstone, jack o’lantern, first-night shelter, furnace, lava or the torch above the cave entrance. Enjoy hands‑on Minecraft™ adventures featuring your favorite characters and objects with this easy-to-reconfigure, modular LEGO® Minecraft set designed for young fans of the highly successful sandbox video game. Includes Steve and Alex minifigures, plus 13 mobs including a charged Creeper™.
- Includes 2 minifigures: Steve and Alex, plus a cave spider, wolf, baby wolf, slime, 2 small slimes, 2 bats, zombie, enderman, skeleton, sheep and a charged Creeper™.
- Features a minecart track with an integrated redstone-powered minecart elevator; 2 minecarts; first-night shelter with bed, crafting table and torch; a mountaintop shelter with bed, torch and furnace; plus a light brick, trees, waterfall, lava and extra torches.
- Open up the model to access the detailed interior and remodel with easy-to-connect modular sections.
- Remove the diamond ore elements and activate the lava burst function.
- Activate the revolving cave-spider spawner.
- Trigger the charged Creeper™ explosion function.
- Jump aboard the minecart and race around the track, and travel to the mountaintop aboard the redstone powered minecart elevator.
- Blast through the mountain with the TNT to extend the rail track.
- Position the light brick to illuminate the rotating spider-spawner, wall of redstone, jack o’lantern, first-night-shelter, furnace, lava or the torch above the cave entrance.
- Enjoy easy access to the detailed interior.
- Put on your golden armor, grab your diamond sword and shield, and prepare for battle!
- Weapons include a sword and a bow.
- Accessory elements include a Minecraft™ clock, spider eyes, signs, map, golden armor, shield, TNT and 8 ore style elements, including diamond, lapis lazuli, emerald, redstone, golden, iron and 2 coal ores.
- Easy-to-reconfigure, modular design—choose from 3 different model configurations.
- Set your imagination free—rebuild the set for more LEGO® Minecraft™ creations!
- Measures over 12” (31cm) high, 20” (53cm) wide and 11” (29cm) deep.
Now it’s your turn – let me know what you think of The Mountain Cave!
Are you a fan of the Minecraft theme? Will you pick up a copy on release day?