LEGO has officially released the information for 21316 The Flintstones, the latest set to come out of LEGO Ideas.
We’ve got a VIP Early Access date of Wednesday 20th February, with everyone else getting access to it on March 1st. It contains 748 pieces and will set you back US $59.99 / DE €59.99 / UK £54.99 / AU $99.99AUD.
The set contains the Flintstone’s house, foot powered car and letter box, as well as Fred and Wilma Flintstone, and Barney and Betty Rubble. The minifigures look good, but I can’t unsee the lack of a nose on Fred and Barney. It looks a little strange!
Inside the building is a couch, TV, bowling set, kitchen, and a coffee table, using the minifigure stands from the recent Unikitty CMF series.
To be honest, I reckon they’ve let the original project creator, AndrewClark2 down. The original project submission had some shape to the building, and a lot more character.
The 21316 version flattens out the building quite substantially. The roof line on the house has improved, giving it more of a thinner profile, but the front wall of the building is far too flat. To be honest, the design for this feels a little like an afterthought.
True, it may look a little worse because the renders exaggerate the lines between the elements, but it’s lost a lot of it’s flair.
Without even attempting some curves on that profile, it has no choice but to be perfectly flat. It’s not the greatest visual. Combine that with the requirement that it’s in light stone grey, and it results in a set that may be interpreted as a little dull.
I think I may have figured out why though. At the front profile, the palm tree has the Technic pin notches visible at the front. From this detail, I think LEGO anticipates that most people will display the build from the back, where the interior details are visible. I can kind of understand this, but it’s not the view of the iconic building that so many of us grew up seeing on TV. I may be wrong, too, and the Technic pin connectors may just be inconsequential.
I think the car looks good, especially with the cloth roof. The angles and details at this size would have been tricky to create in plastic. It’s good that all four minifigures can fit inside it, but I would have loved to have seen Bamm Bamm and Pebbles included, as well as Dino!
At least we have the Brontosaurus ribs, complete with lavender tray. I’m glad that was included.
The interior looks simple, but good. A bit more of a kitchen, as well as some of the classic home appliances using animals would have been good. Some are hard to do in LEGO, but others not so much. The bird alarm clock, pig garbage disposal, or crab lawnmower would have worked quite well.
Either way, I’m sure this set will appeal to the Flintstones fans among us – I’ll try to pick up a copy as I still love the show.
The full press release is below, with a few more images.
21316 The Flintstones
Ages 10+. 748 pieces
US $59.99 – CA $79.99 – DE €59.99 – UK £54.99 – FR €59.99 – DK 549DKK – AU $99.99AUD
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Have a yabba dabba doo time at Fred Flintstone’s home!
Enjoy modern Stone Age suburban life in Bedrock with this LEGO® Ideas 21316 The Flintstones collectible toy! A wonderfully nostalgic building toy, it features The Flintstones house and their iconic family car. The detailed house has a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, sofa, TV, coffee table, bowling ball and bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree. Build your own Flintstones vehicle that seats 4 minifigures and features a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element and an attachable dinosaur rib for creative play. The first animated TV series ever to be aired in a prime-time slot, The Flintstones cartoon was first broadcast in America in 1960 and has become an enduring family favorite around the world. Recreate hilarious scenes with the included cartoon character minifigures of Fred Flintstone, wife Wilma Flintstone and their friends Barney and Betty Rubble, or simply build and display this instant classic LEGO Ideas model.
– This LEGO® Ideas building toy includes 4 new-for-March-2019 The Flintstones cartoon character minifigures: Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble.
– The Flintstones home features a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, curtains and curtain rails, sofa, TV with aerial, kitchen sink, table and phone, fireplace, painting element on the wall, coffee table with fruit bowl and fruit elements, buildable floor lamp and lampshade, crate with a bowling ball and 3 bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree, 2 flower pots, flowers, plants and 2 milk bottle elements.
– Includes a buildable postbox with printed ‘Flintstones’ decoration, plus a letter element.
– The LEGO® brick-built Flintstones car features 4 minifigure seats, 2 steamroller wheels, a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element, plus an attachable dinosaur rib.
– This creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about The Flintstones, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO® designers.
– Build and display this collectible construction toy or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic American animated sitcom The Flintstones.
– The Flintstones Bedrock home measures over 4” (12cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
– The Flintstones car measures over 2” (6cm) high, 4” (11cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.