LEGO has officially announced the release of 21321 International Space Station. You may remember back in June when LEGO Ideas held a fan vote to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of LEGO Ideas. A few project submissions that had previously reached 10K but were knocked back were up for public vote, to be produced into official LEGO sets. The International Space Station ended up getting the most votes, and here we are!
There are some great details in this set, and I’m looking forward to taking a look at it. While I know the ISS exists, and what it is, there’s a lot I didn’t know about it! Here are some facts from the NASA website:
- The space station has been continuously occupied since November 2000.
- It orbits the planet about every 90 minutes.
- In 24 hours, the space station makes 16 orbits of Earth, travelling through 16 sunrises and sunsets.
- The wingspan of the solar arrays is about the same length as an Airbus A380.
- The living and working space in the station is larger than a six-bedroom house. It even has a gym!
- There’s eight miles of wire connecting the electrical power system around the station. That’s almost 13 kilometres.
- Six spaceships can be connected to the space station at once.
- A spacecraft can arrive at the space station as soon as six hours after launching from Earth.
- The station’s orbital path takes it over 90% of the Earth’s population, with astronauts taking millions of images of the planet below.
Pretty amazing stuff! The details in the set include a poseable Canadarm2 – the robotic arm that’s on the ISS.
There’s also a space shuttle to build, as well as three mini cargo spacecraft and two astronaut microfigures.
It comes with a display stand and is a little under 50 cm wide, so it’s big.
You can read the full press releases below, and check out a few more images.
STEP INTO YOUR ASTRONAUT BOOTS WITH THE NEW LEGO® IDEAS INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION
The LEGO Group has announced the new LEGO Ideas International Space Station, packed with authentic details as part of its 10-year celebration of the LEGO Ideas programme.
[21st January 2020] Realise your own dreams of becoming an astronaut with the new LEGO Ideas International Space Station, available to buy from LEGO stores and online at LEGO.com from February 1st.
Based on a concept from a LEGO fan, the new model contains 864 pieces, including the iconic space station itself and a LEGO brick-built NASA space shuttle with three mini cargo spacecrafts and two astronaut microfigures, making this a must-have for space enthusiasts and adult LEGO fans alike.
The realistic set features a posable Canadarm2 and two rotating joints that coincide with eight adjustable solar panels, to replicate the out-of-this-world complexity of the real space station that orbits the Earth sixteen times a day!
In addition, a display stand means that builders can proudly display it in any room once complete and celebrate the achievements of the five international space agencies that brought the incredible real-life ISS to life and have enabled humans to live in space for 20 years.
Measuring over 7” (20cm) high, 12” (31cm) long and 19” (49cm) wide, the LEGO Ideas International Space Station makes an eye-catching display model that will perfectly compliment any LEGO brick space collection.
The set comes complete with a 148-page illustrated instruction booklet, packed with interesting facts and information about the International Space Station itself and the LEGO fan who created the original design for the set.
LEGO fan Christoph Ruge submitted the original design for the LEGO Ideas International Space Station set after submitting other various space model entries via the LEGO Ideas platform.
LEGO Ideas offers fans the opportunity to submit their own brick creations with the chance to have their concept brought to life with the help of LEGO master designers and a share of the profits.
After three years, Christoph’s design was selected through the special review to celebrate the 10th anniversary year of the LEGO Ideas programme that has seen amazing sets come to fans including The Flintstones, Steamboat Willie and Friends Central Perk in the last year alone.
Hasan Jensen, Engagement Manager at The LEGO Group, said: “To celebrate 10 years of crowdsourcing and collaboration between LEGO Ideas (called LEGO CUUSOO until 2014) and LEGO fans around the world, we decided to dive into the archives of LEGO Ideas projects that had gathered 10,000 supporters but hadn’t quite made it into production.
“We decided that one of these great ideas should have a second chance, so we thought we would turn the LEGO Ideas process upside down. This time we started the internal review and came up with four exciting projects that we thought showed the greatest potential – and then it was up to the LEGO Ideas community to decide which of the four would be made into LEGO Ideas set number 29. It was great fun to follow the fan vote and we were excited to be able to finally welcome the International Space Station into the LEGO Ideas family.”
Fans can submit their own LEGO set ideas at ideas.LEGO.com.
21321 LEGO Ideas International Space Station will be available directly via LEGO.com and LEGO Stores from February 1st 2020.
21321 International Space Station
Ages 16+. 864 pieces
US $69.99 – CA $99.99 – DE €69.99 – UK £64.99 – FR €59.99 – DK 549DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Stunning LEGO® brick International Space Station for display
Build and display this spectacular LEGO® Ideas 21321 ISS (International Space Station). Packed with authentic ISS details, including a posable Canadarm2 and 2 rotating joints that coincide with 8 adjustable ‘solar panels’, this 864-piece set is a wonderful gift idea for space enthusiasts, adult LEGO fans or any experienced builder.
This awesome LEGO spaceship model comes with a display stand, a buildable mini NASA space shuttle and 3 mini cargo spacecrafts, plus 2 astronaut microfigures to create a striking centerpiece in any room. Illustrated instructions are included, plus a 148-page booklet with fascinating ISS facts and information about the LEGO fan who created this space model kit and its LEGO designer.
The infinitely diverse array of LEGO Ideas sets are all created by LEGO fans and voted for by LEGO fans. Inspired by real life, action heroes, iconic movies, popular TV series or totally original concepts, there is something to delight all ages.
• Challenge your construction skills with this LEGO® Ideas ISS (21321) display model, featuring 2 rotating joints with 8 adjustable ‘solar panels’, posable Canadarm2 and other authentic details to discover as you build.
• This ISS model comes with a stand, 2 astronaut microfigures, a brick-built mini NASA space shuttle and 3 mini cargo spacecrafts to create a spectacular display and rekindle nostalgic memories of childhood LEGO® projects.
• Also includes a 148-page booklet featuring fascinating facts about the International Space Station, the spaceship model’s fan creator and LEGO® designer, and a celebration of the LEGO Ideas theme’s 10th anniversary.
• A super treat for yourself, birthday present or holiday gift idea for space fans, adults aged 16+ or any experienced LEGO® builder, this 882-piece set offers hours of creative fun, whether built solo or with friends.
• This ISS (International Space Station) toy building kit for adults, measuring over 7” (20cm) high, 12” (31cm) long and 19” (49cm) wide, makes a beautiful display model that will catch the eye of every passerby.
• This battery-free building set offers a stress-relieving, immersive and fun creative experience. So zone out, find your building zen and enjoy some me-time constructing a wonderful display model!
• Thinking of buying this International Space Station model for a newcomer to LEGO® sets? No worries. It comes with step-by-step instructions so they can take on this challenging build with confidence.
• LEGO® Ideas sets are created by LEGO fans and voted for by LEGO fans. Adults and children will be delighted by the infinitely diverse array of collectible construction toys for display and creative play.
• LEGO® building bricks meet the highest industry standards, so you can be assured that they are consistent, compatible and connect and pull apart easily every time.
• LEGO® bricks and pieces are dropped, heated, crushed, twisted and analyzed to ensure that this LEGO Ideas building kit for adults meets the highest global safety standards.
Available directly from LEGO Stores & LEGO.com from 1st February, 2020