LEGO has officially announced the release of 21323 Grand Piano from the LEGO Ideas range, and I am very excited! LEGO Ideas is hands down one of my favourite themes and this set was one I was looking forward to seeing when it got announced in September last year.
The original submission on LEGO Ideas was submitted by SleepyCow, and from the looks of it, it hasn’t changed a whole lot! An image of the original submission is below.
And the actual set:
The biggest differences are in the pedals, having been simplified to basic Technic beams, the seat texture has been changed (as well as the lifting mechanism), and the strings on the inside have been replaced. As well as a few minor cosmetic differences in the shape, that’s really it.
Not only do we get a beautiful looking grand piano, but it is playable. Throw in the Powered Up motors (that are included), connect the Powered Up app and you can run an auto-play of four different songs, or play something yourself! I’m really curious as to how this will work exactly. I’ve been thinking about it a bit and studying the footage and I can’t figure it out!
After seeing the inner workings of the set I’m pretty sure the keys are just activated at random with that long spinning axle, but how it works when the user plays it? No idea.
Edit: According to this article from The Brothers Brick, any key can be hit which will play the next note in the sequence. Well that’s disappointing. I don’t really think this counts as ‘playable’, LEGO.
Even so, this is so exciting! As some one with pianists in the family, this will be a hit.
Just like the real deal, there’s a proper hammer action, moving dampers and pedals, openable top lid and fallboard, piano leg wheels, and a height adjustable seat.
I also like that the keyboard can come out completely, like the project submission, so the inner workings of the piano can be seen.
I’m expecting an early access copy in the mail any day now, so I’m looking forward to building it and testing it out. A review will be posted as soon as I can!
A few more images are below, as well as the press release.
21323 LEGO® ǀ Ideas Grand Piano
Ages 18+. 3,662 pieces
US $349.99 – CA $449.99 – DE €349.99 – UK £319.99 – FR €349.99 – DK 2699.0DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Build the first-ever playable LEGO® Grand Piano!
Do you have a passion for music? Do you like to relax by focusing on a fun, hands-on project in your free time? If so, this incredible LEGO® Ideas Grand Piano model kit (21323) is just the creative activity for you.
Beautiful and playable
Feel the pride of building a sophisticated, brick-built version of a concert grand piano that you can actually play music with! Recreate the hammer action of each piano key, the moving pedal and authentic details such as the propped-open top lid and fallboard. Turn on the motor and then you are all set to play wonderful music – select user play on the free LEGO Powered Up app to play the notes yourself or activate auto play and just listen.
LEGO sets for your lifestyle
Take some time out and enjoy creating a LEGO musical masterpiece to display in your home or workplace. Part of a collection of LEGO building sets for adults, it makes a truly special birthday present or Christmas gift for yourself, the musician, piano player or hobbyist in your life.
• Drum roll please as we proudly introduce the first-ever, playable LEGO® Grand Piano! Experience the hands-on pleasure of creating a highly sophisticated LEGO concert piano model and then play beautiful music with it.
• The LEGO® Ideas Grand Piano (21323) has a removable 25-key keyboard, authentic hammer action, moving dampers and pedal, and motor. Combined with the LEGO Powered Up app, you can play a tune yourself or automatically.
• Revel in the authentic design details of this beautiful model, from the top lid that can be propped up just like a real grand piano’s, to the opening fallboard and piano leg wheels, plus a height adjustable bench.
• If you are looking for a creative DIY project, this 3,662-piece model building kit is ideal for you. So, take some time out and click your stress away with a rewarding challenge that will leave you feeling revitalized.
• The piano measures over 8.5” (22.5cm) high, 12” (30.5cm) wide and 13.5” (35.5cm) deep when closed. A stylish item for your home or workplace, it also makes a cool gift for musicians, music-lovers, pianists and hobbyists.
• To power up the grand piano’s self-playing function, you’ll need 6 AAA batteries (not included) and the free LEGO® Powered Up app – choose user play to play the notes yourself or auto play to listen to 1 of 4 songs.
• Clear instructions help you to build with confidence and really enjoy the process, even if you are a LEGO® newcomer. Also included is a coffee-table-style booklet about this grand piano set’s fan designer and more.
• This LEGO® Ideas building set for adults is part of a collection of inspiring model kits designed for the discerning hobbyist who relishes an immersive, hands-on DIY project.
• Since 1958, LEGO® building bricks have met the highest industry standards, which ensures they are consistent, compatible and connect and pull apart easily every time.
• LEGO® bricks and pieces are rigorously tested to meet exacting safety and quality standards, so you can be sure that this collectible grand piano model is as robust as it is beautiful.